Thursday, April 28, 2005

Update: Sidestepping the Resurrection

In a recent post, I criticized Cynthia Rigby’s recent article in the Presbyterian Outlook. Apparently, I’m not the only one who was puzzled by her reluctance to give straight answers on the reality of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. She has responded to criticism in the latest edition of the Outlook.
Specifically, I bear witness to our confessional claims that "Jesus Christ rose again from the dead" and that one day we, too – as members of the communion of saints – will be bodily resurrected. This is what I believe. More importantly: this is what we believe, as Christians. The article clearly does not bring these beliefs into question, but seeks to explore how they make a difference in our lives of discipleship.
Although I still affirm that Dr. Rigby’s choice of words muddled her intent, I am glad to stand corrected. Moreover, I stand by my original comment that her observations about the implications of the resurrection are "intelligent and cogent."

No comments: