Monday, October 02, 2006

Welcome to the Presbyterian Church

Yesterday was World Communion Sunday, and we spent time in our Sunday School classes to teach about Communion.

I was in a class of third graders. In our discussion of how "Christ and the benefits of the new covenant are represented, sealed, and applied to believers," one boy asked if Holy Grail was real.

I said, "Yes, if you mean did Jesus actually drink from a cup at the last Supper. However, the stories of King Arthur and the Grail were legends, and there is nothing magical about the cup. What’s more important is that Holy Communion is one of the ways that the Holy Spirit unites us to Jesus and each other."

To which, the children began quoting from Monty Python and the Holy Grail: "That’s the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!" Every eight-year-old child, including the girl, was a Monty Python fan. Welcome to the Presbyterian Church!

2 comments:

Benjamin P. Glaser said...

By the time I was 17 I had seen the film so many times I could recite the whole movie-line for line-from beginning to end. Unfortunately things like Hebrew, the Qal paradigm, and other important things have removed some lines from my head but I still bet I could do most of it. Though I am pretty sure this "skill" will not be put into my CIF.

Jody Harrington said...

Not to make you two jealous or anything, but the MUSICAL version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "Spamalot", is coming to Houston this summer and we have tickets already!
~doing the happy dance~