Thursday, March 24, 2005

Recommeded Reading

Another article from a former professor. This one is a devotional by Rev. Dr. Craig Barnes, pastor of Shadyside Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh, entitled the Judas Chromosome written for the Christian Century. I heartily recommend his writings and sermons. I also freely admit his influence on my understanding of ministry and the gospel.

Here’s an excerpt…
Could it be that the real reason we show betrayers so little compassion is that we’re afraid there is some Judas chromosome within all of us? We hate the thought that we too are capable of betraying trust. When Jesus claimed that one of the Twelve would betray him, the anxiety within all of their souls rushed to the surface. “Surely not I, Lord?” They might as well have said, “I’ve been worried about that, but I thought I had it under control.”

No comments: